- Lecture course and Problem sets: Monday 11:30 - 12:15 Uhr / V55.21
- Lecture course and Problem sets: Wednesday 8:00 - 9:30 Uhr / V57.01
- Currently, all lectures (Wednesdays at 8:00 am, lecture hall PWR 57 - V 57.01) and tutorials (Mondays at 11:30 am, lecture hall PWR 55 V55.21) are held.
- In addition, previous lecture and tutorial recordings will be made available for you to download from ILIAS.
- However, due to the current developments in connection with the spread of the coronavirus COVID-19, it is currently not foreseeable to what extent university teaching will be affected in the near future.
- An up-to-date overview of lecture and exercise dates is available in C@MPUS.
Topics of the lecture series
- Topic 1: Introduction into biological physics
- Orders of magnitude
- Spread of epidemics based on the SIR model
- Topic 2: Methods for visualizing the fine structure of cells
- Fundamentals of Wave Optics (Coherence, Interference, Diffraction, Abbe's Image Theory, Airy disk)
- Important Contrast Methods in Light Microscopy (Brightfield Microscopy, Darkfield Microscopy, Phase Containment Microscopy, DIC Microscopy, Hoffman Contrast Methods)
- Important applications and examples (optical properties of the eye, magnifying glass, light microscope, electron microscope
- Topic 3: Methods of Isolating Cell Constituents
- Topic 4: Molecular interactions
- Topic 5: Mechanisms of cellular information transfer
- Diffusion-mediated communication by messenger substances
- Electrical communication and nerve conduction
Smart to know
Smart to know
- A current overview with lecture and exercise dates is stored in C@MPUS
- The exercises take place as lecture exercises.
- All materials for the lecture and exercise are available for download in the ILIAS course.
- Nelson Biological Physics: Energy, Information, Life (Freeman, 2004)
- Adam, Läuger & Stark Physikalische Chemie und Biophysik (Springer, 2002)
- Alberts, Johnson, Lewis, Raff, Roberts & Walter Molecular Biology of the Cell (Garland Science)
- Voet & Voet Biochemistry (Wiley, 2004)
- Tipler & Mosca Physik (Spektrum, 2004)
- The contents of the lecture and problem sets "Biophysics of the Cell" will be examined in written form.
- The date of the exam can be found in C@MPUS.
- The duration of the exam is 1.5 hours.
- No further aids are permitted with the exception of a calculator and a sheet of paper with formulas.
- The overall grade for the bachelor module biophysics in the course of studies in technical biology results equally from the results of the examinations on "Experimental Physics" (Dr. Gompf) and "Biophysics of the Cell" (Prof. Nussberger).